A Great Introductory Session for Orange Frog Theatre Company
Orange Frog Theatre Company, which runs autism friendly drama classes, had a very successful introductory session at The Riverside Centre on Friday 31 August and much fun was had by all.
Cas and Eliza who run Orange Frog Theatre Company were pleased to see so many children try out at their introductory session and were very impressed by how involved they all got. Eliza says, “we weren’t sure what to expect from the children, as performing can really take you out of your comfort zone, but everyone really threw themselves into the class and were absolute stars.”
Orange Frog’s autism friendly drama classes start in proper at The Riverside Centre on Friday 14 September from 4-5.30pm and will run weekly until Friday 14 December. Anyone who didn’t get to try out at the introductory session can still try out a session for £10 before making the decision to sign up for the term.
Director Cas says, “our classes aren’t just for those with autism but are intended to provide an autism friendly environment and activities. At Orange Frog we aim to implement autism specific strategies as much as possible to break down any barriers to your child’s or young person’s involvement in our drama classes. These will include:
· creating the right environment, so that it is both welcoming, and meets the needs of the broad spectrum of sensory issues in autism, by offering a low anxiety atmosphere;
· motivating your child or young person to get involved in all aspects of the drama classes, by inviting and encouraging them to take part rather than forcing them;
· developing your child’s or young person’s group work abilities through familiar, structured and supported activities, as well as fun drama games;
· focusing on building your child’s or young person’s attention span by using regular, strategic activities aimed at teaching listening and speaking skills;
· adapting and modifying those activities to meet the needs of all the students to ensure that they also develop their communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal;
· working closely with parents, carers and guardians to understand best how to work with your children and young people to avoid triggering unwanted behaviours and distress.”
If you would like your child to attend Orange Frog’s autism friendly drama classes contact Cas on 07768 960625, use our contact page or email firstname.lastname@example.org